Joseph Stewart founded Bob Stewart Pty Ltd in
1925. Robert, a keen sportsman, was secretary
of the Hawthorn district football club in the
1920’s. He died suddenly in 1931 leaving
the then debt-ridden business to his wife Anne
and baby son Robert Francis. Against the advice
of family and friends, and in defiance of the
social expectations of the time, Anne decided
to take over the running of the business. Her
determination, courage, and hard work enabled
her to pay off the debts and successfully steer
the business through both the Great Depression,
and the rationing and shortages during the Second
In 1948 Robert Francis joined his mother in
the business. In the 1960’s he led the
business in a new direction. Initially by his
decision to stock school uniform, and later
by moving the store to much larger premises
in 1969. Through the 1970’s and 1980’s
the business continued to grow steadily under
his astute management.
1991 Robert Matthew joined his father in the
business followed shortly after by Francis John.
The 1990’s became a time of rapid growth
for the business, with several new schools,
and many new families, becoming part of the
Bob Stewart story.
2000/01 Robert and Francis, with support and
advice from their Father, undertook a substantial
expansion and refurbishment of the store. 2002/03
saw the implementation of leading edge information
technology to enable the company to further
improve its customer service capabilities. In
2004/5 further information technology development
and a substantial expansion of the business’
logistics and warehousing capabilities have
greatly enhanced the company’s ability
to service on campus stores.
all look forward enthusiastically to the challenges
the future will bring!